Willoughby Tram Terminus Plaque Inscription

Consultation has concluded

Willoughby Council City Council is celebrating the150th Anniversary of the incorporation of the Municipality of Willoughby. As part of the 2015 events Willoughby City Council is planning a new Civil Heritage Plaque in the Chatswood CBD. The Willoughby Tram Terminus was located near the corner of Victoria Avenue and Penshurst Street. This Plaque, along with existing Plaques in the CBD, will enable the development of a walking tour to focus on this area.

The Plaques, dating from 1892, include a brief inscription of the history of the site and highlight Willoughby at work, home and play – industrial, cultural, recreation and domestic.

The proposed inscription to appear on the plaque is as follows:

WILLOUGHBY TRAM TERMINUS

On 25 April, 1898, the Willoughby tram service was officially opened as an extension
of the North Sydney network that had operated since 1886. The new route ran from
Falcon Street, Crows Nest, along Willoughby Road to the Terminus at the junction
of Victoria Avenue and Penshurst Street. Until the tracks were doubled in 1911,
trams would loop around at the Terminus to begin the return journey. Public demand
was great, and in 1908 the line was extended to Chatswood Railway Station, with
trams travelling down Victoria Avenue from the Terminus every twenty minutes. In
the 1950s Sydney’s tram network was gradually wound down, and the final tram
arrived at the Terminus on June 28, 1958.


We would like your feedback on the proposed inscription above. Please make comment using the form below.

Willoughby Council City Council is celebrating the150th Anniversary of the incorporation of the Municipality of Willoughby. As part of the 2015 events Willoughby City Council is planning a new Civil Heritage Plaque in the Chatswood CBD. The Willoughby Tram Terminus was located near the corner of Victoria Avenue and Penshurst Street. This Plaque, along with existing Plaques in the CBD, will enable the development of a walking tour to focus on this area.

The Plaques, dating from 1892, include a brief inscription of the history of the site and highlight Willoughby at work, home and play – industrial, cultural, recreation and domestic.

The proposed inscription to appear on the plaque is as follows:

WILLOUGHBY TRAM TERMINUS

On 25 April, 1898, the Willoughby tram service was officially opened as an extension
of the North Sydney network that had operated since 1886. The new route ran from
Falcon Street, Crows Nest, along Willoughby Road to the Terminus at the junction
of Victoria Avenue and Penshurst Street. Until the tracks were doubled in 1911,
trams would loop around at the Terminus to begin the return journey. Public demand
was great, and in 1908 the line was extended to Chatswood Railway Station, with
trams travelling down Victoria Avenue from the Terminus every twenty minutes. In
the 1950s Sydney’s tram network was gradually wound down, and the final tram
arrived at the Terminus on June 28, 1958.


We would like your feedback on the proposed inscription above. Please make comment using the form below.